Friday 14 June 2013

Melissa McCarthy Breaks Silence on Rex Reed: '[He's] Swimming in So Much Hate'


Melissa McCarthy Rex Reed - H 2013
Universal; Getty Images
Melissa McCarthy in "Identity Thief"; inset: Rex Reed

The "Identity Thief" star, whom the reviewer called "tractor-sized," worries how his mean-spirited brand of criticism might affect younger girls.

Melissa McCarthy has finally addressed New York Observer critic Rex Reed's widely criticized comments about her weight.

In a mean-spirited review of her Universal comedy Identity Thief, Reed called the actress "tractor-sized" and a "female hippo," among other insults.
Reed's comments were widely bashed, including by McCarthy's Bridesmaids director Paul Feig, who told Reed "to go f--- himself." The reviewer later defended himself, saying that McCarthy was "crying all the way to the bank." McCarthy remained silent at the time, but now says she's concerned by his remarks.

McCarthy said she was surprised when she first read Reed's scathing review, wondering how someone could have approved it.
“I felt really bad for someone who is swimming in so much hate," McCarthy tells The New York Times. "I just thought, that’s someone who’s in a really bad spot, and I am in such a happy spot. I laugh my head off every day with my husband and my kids, who are mooning me and singing me songs.”

While the Heat actress wasn't hurt by Reed's comments, she said she might have been "crushed" if she'd read something like that when she was 20. In fact, McCarthy indicated she's more worried about such comments affecting young girls concerned about their own body image.
"[Articles like Reed's] just add to all those younger girls, that are not in a place in their life where they can say, ‘That doesn’t reflect on me,’" she said.
McCarthy recently signed on to voice star opposite Seth Rogen in DreamWorks Animation’s B.O.O.

No comments:

Post a Comment