Tuesday 28 May 2013

“After Earth was born on my birthday” says filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan



M. Night Shyamalan, who is known for his innovative vision towards cinema, is all set to bring father-son duo, Will Smith and Jaden Smith starrer, ‘After Earth’. The film is a sci-fi thriller set 1,000 years after the Earth has become unfavorable to humans and they move to a different planet. It tells a story about young Kitai Raige who is a rebellious teenager and aims to become a ranger like his father. While exclusively chatting to Dailybhaskar.com, M. Night Shyamalan speaks about his experiences while filming, his bond with Will and Jaden, and films that are close to his heart.

Q) After you last movie, ‘The Last Airbender’, you have returned after a long time with ‘After Earth’. How did the film come to you?

A) It was my birthday and Will Smith called me to wish me. It was his concept and he wanted to me direct it. I was impressed with the entire script and that’s how ‘After Earth’ was born. When will told me that he would want me to cast Jaden too, I was more intrigued to make it as they look really together on screen. I had a great time working with them and it all feels like one family. We were planning to work on a film before but it never worked out.

Q) You are quite known to make appearances in your films, so will you be making one in this as well?

A) Well…yes in this one too I can’t say I am making an appearance but yes there is a little surprise element which slightly different from my usual cameos.

Q) There is a scene which Jaden has to perform with some poisonous snakes. How scary was it?

A) To be honest I was more scared of the snakes than Jaden would have been. He put all his fears aside and performed it quite well. We had six snake wranglers who would walk around the sets. Once the scene was over they would put them back inside. The when scene begins, the snakes were out.

Q) You have brought the father-son duo back on screen after a long time. What sort of equation you share with them?

A) Will and I know each other since a long time and we have been friends since ages. Jaden is a kid, he has his own mood swings, and he gets a little moody. But he is a very hard working kid and its impressive to see at such a young age he is so focused towards his career.

Q) You have done a lot of films on different subjects and all have been unique. What is the next genre you would like to venture into?

A) I want to make a straight flat drama. I do include a bit of drama in all my films but I have mixed it with my subjects. My next film would be only drama with no mixing of other where I would like to highlight the emotions. It is something that I haven’t done before but I shall try my hand on it.

Q) So is there something next on the pipeline?

A) Yes there is and you will come to know when its declared.

Q) Lastly, of all the films you have done, which films are close to your heart?

A) That is a good question but a little tricky too. I love all the films I have made but ‘Lady in the water’, ‘The Village’, ‘Unbreakable’ and ‘Wide Awake’ are the films I really love.

No comments:

Post a Comment